Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Gaviota Trespass trail

I set out from Santa Barbara by car to drive 35 miles [west along the coast] to Gaviota State Park to run up Gaviota Peak via the Tunnel trail. I made good time and got on the main trail in the cool of the morning. I started easy and then after 200 feet went right onto the Trespass trail which seems to head straight up as it traverses the mountain.

Thinking that the trail route would be easy to follow I stopped paying attention, kept a decent pace and enjoyed the views. But after about 25 minutes I took a right when I should have taken a left. The peak that pretty much dominates the trail both to the right and straight ahead of the trail seemed the natural way to go. It wasn't.

Nonetheless, I still managed a good run - even as the trail slowly got thinner and thinner until it disappeared on top of the wrong mountain. But the views were still great.

 The first mile of the trail.

About 20 minutes of running you get here. The peak straight ahead [with no name I could find] was where I thought I was going. But that's not Gaviota Peak!

Here is where I basically took a wrong turn. If you continue straight you will find a switchback to the left that goes to Gaviota Peak. I went to the right. There are no signs. One hint if you want to go the correct way is to take the trail - pictured above - and make sure to pass a little water hole which will be to the right.

After taking a wrong turn here is how the trail looks. Yes, not much of one - but up top there is a switchback so it seemed okay.


 Here is the view once on top.  Even going the wrong way still has it's rewards.

Another cool view at the top looking back toward Santa Barbara.

Going back the way I came.

I conclude that even if you take a wrong turn on this trail you still get a great hike / run and wonderful views. One can also do both peaks and then head back on the loop down the fire road from Gaviota Peak.

I did this hike in February 2013. It was a cool, mildly windy day. I'm not sure what temperatures are like in spring or summer.

Distance: 5 1/2 miles
Total Time 60 minutes

No comments:

Cool Blogs